Tomato, Squash and Red Pepper Gratin
Author: Emily Scalf
- 5 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 11/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 lb yellow squash, cut into ¼ inch thick slices (about 31/2 cups)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 11/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ tsp salt divided
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup fat free milk
- 3oz aged Gruyere cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- 1 large egg
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 11/2 ounces 100% whole wheat bread
- 1 14.5oz organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Preheat 375 degrees
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add squash and garlic; cook 4 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Stir in quinoa, ¼ cup basil, thyme, ½ tsp salt, and black pepper.
- Combine remaining ¼ tsp salt, milk, cheese, and eggs in a media bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to vegetable mixture stirring until just combined. Spoon mixture into a 11 x7 inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes or until toasted. Arrange tomatoes evenly over vegetable mixture. Top evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until topping is browned. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup basil.