Have you ever tried to find a recipe for a family favorite that you can make from scratch. We’ll I remember back in college I would come home and pop a couple pizza rolls in the microwave and sit on the couch and eat away! Well I found a healthier alternative which can cut some of the calories. I made these the other night and they were amazing. They put those pizza rolls in a bag to shame!!
I found this great recipe online for Skinny Pizza Rolls! This recipe won a Blue Ribbon and was awarded the “Family Tested and Approved” stamp by Just a Pinch Recipe Club! To read more about it click here: www.justapinch.com
o 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
o 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce orTomato Sauce
o 20 Turkey Pepperoni’s
o 24 Wonton Wrappers
o 1/8 cup Parmesan Cheese
o 1 tsp Basil/Oregano mix OR Italian Seasoning
o 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
o pinch of sweetener, (sugar/stevia/splenda)
o pinch of black pepper
o *Optional: 1/3 cup Chicken Breast, Diced OR 1/3 cup Light Italian Sausage
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or foil coated with non-stick cooking spray. Gather ingredients.
2. Pour pizza sauce, (or tomato paste), in a medium bowl…
3. Followed by the mozzarella cheese.
4. Slice the pepperoni into quarters, and add them to the sauce/cheese mixture.
5. Stir until combined.
6. Next, add the seasonings.
7. Stir again until everything is well combined.
8. To begin filling wonton wrappers, I find it easiest to create an ‘assembly line’. I did this by stacking my wonton wrappers, and having my filling, and a small bowl of water near by to ’seal’ the wrappers shut.
9. Then, begin filling by placing about a tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper. You could use a little more or less, just try not to over-fill them, or the filling will ooze out the sides when you are baking them.
10. To seal them shut, place your finger in the water…
11. Trace two of the corners with the water…
12. And fold the wrapper in half to meet the two dry corners with the two wet corners.
13. Press to seal the two sides together. (Note: the water acts like glue to seal the corners shut!)
I decided to do half of my pizza rolls with chicken, and half without… So I added my chicken to my sauce mixture after making half of my pizza rolls with just pepperoni.
And I continued making my pizza rolls until all of my wonton wrappers were filled. (Note: You may be able to fill even more than 24 wrappers depending on how much filling you use in each one!)
14. When wonton wrappers are filled, give them a light spray with non-stick cooking spray…
15. And sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top of each one.
16. Lay pizza rolls out on prepared baking sheet.
17. Bake in preheated oven (450 degrees) for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!