Mirliton, Shrimp and Crawfish Soup
Author: Modified to make healthy from louisianacookin.com
- 8 mirlitons, halved
- 1 Tbs Avocado Oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb small Louisiana shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb crawfish tails
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Add mirlitons to a large pot and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer mirlitons to a colander, and let stand until cool enough to handle
- Peel, remove and discard seeds and fibrous membranes from mirlitons, and scoop out as much flesh as possible. Place flesh in large bowl, and mash until smooth.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat avocado oil over low heat. Add onion, celery, and mirliton; cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, shrimp and crawfish; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers, salt, ginger, and basil. Add flour, stirring well.
- Stir in broth, and bring to a boil over hight heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, add half-and-half. Serve immediately.