Bruschetta with Tomato & Avocado
Author: Tosca Reno
Recipe type: Appetizer
Calories: 111 / Protein: 2g / Carbs 9.5g / Total Fat: 8g / Saturated Fat: 1g / Fiber: 3.5g / Trans: 0g / Sodium: 197mg / Cholesterol: 0g / Sugar: 1g
- ½ loaf whole-grain French, ciabatta or other thin loaf bread
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup / 24 0ml fresh chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp / 5 ml sea salt
- 1 tsp / 5 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh arugula leaves, finely chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml best quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 fresh avocados
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheep with parchment paper
- Slice bread into thin, ½-inch slices on the diagonal. Arrange slices on baking sheet. Don’t overlap. Use another baking sheet if necessary.
- Use a baking brush to lightly coat each piece of bread with olive oil. Bake for several minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized oven-safe mixing bowl combine tomato, remaining olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in hot oven and bake for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat.
- Transfer cooked tomatoes to new mixing bowl. Add chopped arugula, basil and balsamic vingar. Mix gently to combine. Set aside.
- Peel avocados. Cut in half and remove pits. Dice avocado and toss with lemon juice.
- Top each piece of bread with tomato mixture. Top with avocado. Serve.